In Illinois, the rules and processes surrounding condo association board meetings are governed by the Illinois Condominium Property Act (ICPA) as well as each association’s individual governing documents and bylaws.
Per the ICPA, notice of any scheduled board meeting must be given at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. Some meetings, such as the annual meeting, require greater notice. For example, annual meetings require notice to be given no fewer than 10 and no more than 30 days prior to the meeting and detail the time, place and purpose of the meeting.
As you or your association management company prepares board meeting notices, here are some things to keep in mind.
Preparing Board Meeting Notices for Chicago Condo Associations
There are several important items to note when preparing a board meeting notice.
- First, you should review your governing documents to ensure you’re giving adequate notice and content, as well as adhering to approved delivery methods. Make sure all board members know who is taking the lead on this responsibility.
- Next, draft the meeting agenda. The agenda should outline the items to be discussed or voted on during the meeting. Some association bylaws may require the agenda to be included in the meeting notice.
- Be sure to include essential information. This includes the date, time, and location of the meeting. If the meeting will be held virtually, provide the necessary details for participation.
- Give delivery of notice. Common delivery methods for Chicago HOAs include mail, email, posting on the association’s website, or a combination of these methods. Each unit owner must receive notice of the board meeting.
- Post notice in common areas. You should also post a copy of the meeting notice in common areas accessible to all members. This additional step ensures that members who may not receive electronic or mailed notices have access to the information.
Providing notices for board meetings is a legal responsibility for HOAs. It’s not a step you can forget or ignore. If your Chicago condo community needs help managing day-to-day association responsibilities such as providing board meeting notices, turn to us at First Community Management. Contact us to learn more about the services we provide.